About Me

My photo
Suwanee, Georgia, United States
I have a passion for creating. I love to sew, decorate, paint, read, travel. I have been sewing and decorating for years. I love teaching and sharing my inspiration. I love thinking outside the box and believe everything can be made into something new! I am sew inspired and love simplicity in my life. I have a very successful decorating business. I also love teaching my sewing classes and sharing this gift that I have been blessed with. Sewing is becoming a dying art and I want to do my part in keeping it alive.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Elegant Dining Room

I always love it when a project comes to completion.  I love seeing the changes take place and I love seeing visually what my mind was seeing in the design process.  This dining room is one of my favorite projects.  It has a lot of glitz and sparkle.

The changes from before and after are really amazing.  The dining room was originally painted red.  The trim was an off white and the cabinet was stained.  The ceiling did not have any interest or detail and the chandelier   was to ornate.

Dining Room Before
I decided to go with a very neutral color palette and really add a lot of surface materials that had shimmer and glitz, but still had an elegance to it.  The walls were faux painted in a Shimmer stone technique in grays and taupe.  Shimmer stone has a lot of sparkle in the finish and the technique really adds a lot of texture and dimension to the surface.  To make the built in china cabinet feel more like a piece of furniture, I had it painted a medium gray and then glazed with a gray/black glaze.  Then the cabinet doors were stenciled.  The cabinet now feels like a distress and aged piece of furniture and becomes a focal point in the room.  The ceiling was wallpapered in a Candice Olsen wallpaper that has a shimmery light gray background with a sand textured trellis design.  I replaced the chandelier with a fixture that had an aged silver finish and beautiful silk shades.  Style was simple but the details were amazing.  The trim was painted gray and then glazed.


Wallpaper in the ceiling.


Cabinets were painted then glazed and stencil was added to the cabinet doors.
Then a large dining room table was added.  Fabrics were very neutral but had a medallion design that added motion and dimension to the room.  And the final detail was a beautiful silk floral with dried hydrangeas, branches, moss in glass containers.

Beautiful floral design made with all natural and dried flowers, leaves, twigs and branches.
Area rug repeats the trellis design in the wallpaper on the ceiling.

Beautiful table runner and pleated drapery panels with a box pleated edge and beaded trim down the leading edge.


I love this dining room.  Very simple, yet filled with details and elegance.

No comments: