About Me

My photo
Suwanee, Georgia, United States
I have a passion for creating. I love to sew, decorate, paint, read, travel. I have been sewing and decorating for years. I love teaching and sharing my inspiration. I love thinking outside the box and believe everything can be made into something new! I am sew inspired and love simplicity in my life. I have a very successful decorating business. I also love teaching my sewing classes and sharing this gift that I have been blessed with. Sewing is becoming a dying art and I want to do my part in keeping it alive.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Bama Jammies

Okay, I have to set you up for this blog post.  Today my sewing project was a pair of pajama pants for my brother.  So here is how this started.  I love football, actually I love college football, but mostly I love SEC football.  And more than anything I love UGA football.  Yes I am a Dawg fan.  This year when my daughter was getting ready to go to college, I was so looking forwarded to her attending the University of Georgia.  However, much to my disappointment, she chose University of Kentucky (Go Cats!).  Now my youngest has always been a Georgia fan, however, this year she decided she was a Bama fan (Roll Tide).  I don't know what brought about this change other than my brother is a HUGE Alabama fan and she adores my brother.  A few months ago, I made her a pair of fleece Bama Jammies and once my brother saw them, he had to have a pair too.  Now my brother is 40 years old.  So today that is my project!

Pajama pants are one of the easiest items to make and what a great gift they make.


I used a pattern by McCalls M6252 and Alabama Fleece.

Steps:

1.  Cut out your pattern pieces according to package directions.
2.  Match Front and Back from crotch to bottom and sew in a 5/8" seam allowance on both sections.

3. Stitch crotch all the way around from front to back.


4.  For easy insertion  of the elastic in the waist band, I sew the seam allowance down about 3" on all the inside seams at the waist band.

5.  Fold Casing down at waist line and fold under 1/4" and stitch.  Remember to leave an opening for your inserting your elastic or drawstring.

6.  Insert your elastic (I opted for a drawstring, so is opened the seam on the inside instead of leaving an opening in my casing.



7. Hem the bottom.

In less than 1.5 hours I had a pair of pajama pants made.

Pajama pants are easy to sew.  They make great gifts and you can really make them cute and fun.  Mix fabrics, add trims and use a great fun and playful fabrics.  And they are very affordable to make.  These are pictures of pajama's I found on-line.

I love the bright fabrics and look at the ruffled edge on the bottom.

Cute fabric.  I love the Capri length.  Great for summer.

Notice the contrast drawstring and the contrast around the bottom.

Great pattern for girls.  You could make a slumber party theme with this pattern.  This pattern can be found on Amazon.  Pattern is by Cindy Taylor
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Designs-Patterns-Sew-Pajama/dp/B00158U83U


These pajama pant instructions can be found in Amy Butler's Book  "In Stitches"


Hope I have inspired you to make pajama's today.  They are great projects for beginners as well as advanced sewers.  Try adding trim, mixing fabrics and make them fun and one of a kind. These are so cute, you could wear them out to run your errands and if your daughter is like mine, she wears jammie pants to school.  Who would have figured this would happen.

Now excuse me while I go and try to repent for making these Bama Jammies and see what I can come up with to make for a DAWG fan.

No comments: